The Project implementation approach involves Public, Private and NGOs for effective execution of Project activities for the attainment of the development objectives. It revolves around a strong, focused and decentralized implementation structure composed of a mix of experienced Civil Servants and qualified Professionals (recruited from the open market).
The implementing arrangements of the Project described below have been designed keeping the above factors into consideration. At the apex is the National Steering Committee (NSC) chaired by the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources with membership from key stakeholders for policy matters and overall program oversight. The Land Sector Agencies, Regional offices and Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies are strengthened to implement tasks defined in the Implementation Manual.
National Project Management Structure and Functions
Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources is responsible for overall management of the Project, including (i) chairing the NSC which has strategic and oversight responsibility; and (ii) hosting the Project Coordinating Unit (PCU) which will coordinate the day-to-day implementation of project activities. The Office of the Technical Director (Lands) will host the secretariat with the Technical Director (Lands) exercising supervisory responsibility over the Project Coordinator. The NSC is responsible for policy formulation and reviews, approval of annual work plans and budget, mid-term and performance reviews, annual performance assessments, action on audit reports and recommendations and resolving major implementation issues. Membership of the NSC shall be as follows:
- Two representatives from the National House of Chiefs
- Chairman of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Lands and Natural Resources
- Chairman of the National Lands Commission
- Executive Secretary/CEO, Lands Commission
- Administrator of Stool Lands
- Director Town and Country Planning Department
- Judicial Secretary
- Director, Judicial reforms
- Chief Directors of the following Ministries and agencies:
- Ministry of Environment Science and Technology
- Ministry of Food and Agriculture
- Ministry of Water Resources Works and Housing
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning
- Ministry of Local Government & Rural Development
- Ministry of Women and Children’s Affairs
- Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources
- Technical Director (Lands)
10. Representative each from the following bodies/agencies
- Ghana Institution of Surveyors
- Peasant Farmers’ Association
- Civil Society Coalition on Lands
- Farmers’ Association
- Ghana Institute of Planners
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Survey Council
11. The Secretary to the Committee shall be the National Project Co-ordinator.
The NSC meets twice in a year and participates in the final deliberations (wrap-up) of all Donor supported Implementation Support Missions. Other meetings may be arranged where necessary.